What is the oldest standing building on campus? —Sara Shannon ’05, social work
When the Hillcrest Building (1921) that served a variety of purposes in the campus’ first 40 years was razed in 2007, one might reasonably conclude that the two remaining structures in the trio of academic buildings – Biological Sciences, Lecture Hall One – that opened on the first day of classes on September 19, 1966 are the oldest remaining buildings at UMBC.
Not so fast. Excluding the silo on UMBC Boulevard, and a Surge Facility (1955) located on Wilkens Avenue that predates the campus’ founding, the oldest remaining building is actually the Technology Research Center at the southeast corner of UMBC’s campus.